Sunday, July 6, 2008

Thanks for the Memories

I hope everyone's having a good 4th weekend. I haven't been around much, but having fun. I'm half out the door again, but this will likely be a mellow day.

The other day, a friend and I somehow got on the subject of my HS marching band. We weren't your average play-for-football, rah-rah kinds of bands. We were the kind that traveled to bowl games and battled it out across the country in competition. We had fun, but worked our asses off. To this day, I can't smell a freshly-mowed, dewy lawn without thinking of those early morning rehearsals, often getting far too intimate with mud. And I can easily get sucked into Drum Corps competitions in TV while channel surfing (admittedly, they don't hold my attention for nearly as long these days).

So, on a lark, I did a quick search on Youtube, confident I'd yield nothing. To my great surprise, there we were!

If you're not really into the whole marching band thing (and, really, how many are?), skip to the middle (about 6 minutes in). Our concert piece was pretty cool (and if you know the name of it-- 3rd song in, I'm forever in your debt). http://youtube.com/watch?v=YjL0Y9sCwvc

Just as a side note, I'd reeeally love to see the year or 2 prior. I had an audio recording at one point, but I think that's long gone (and on tape, at that). That year, my first exposure to doing Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Chick Correa, etc. Yeah.

No comments: