Saturday, June 7, 2008

Summer Lovin'

As I've mentioned, it's been unseasonably cool here through spring. Today, summer is set to arrive full force. Yesterday, it was 68 degrees out. It's expected to hit 97 today. So much for a gradual transition!

Shakespeare in the Park has started up, the Mr. Softee trucks are everywhere, patio/sidewalk seating is plentiful, and my favorite chair has moved position from in front of the window with the air conditioner to in front of the one above the radiator. I think it's safe that the radiator won't be on any time soon.

The Puerto Rican Day Parade is happening here tomorrow. One thing about my 'hood is that we're on or near parade routes on a somewhat regular basis. There are parades I encounter that I've never even heard of. I've buddied up to the doorman, though, who usually keeps me posted on the local happenings and events that will trigger extra crowds and barriers. Sometimes I like to join in, but it's also nice to know to avoid them if I want to, too. Luckily, I have subway lines within the block both to the east and west of me, so there's always one line that's accessible.

No comments: