Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Book of Love

I've resisted the idea of the Kindle. If it weren't for the $350 price tag and the fact I love to have the paper versions on my bookshelves, I'd likely have one in my hands this moment. I do think that after years of attempts to reinvent the electronic book, they've done an amazing job. They've addressed the eye strain issues, making it look basically like virtual paper. The only thing you're really missing, beside the cover art, is the heft and the musty paper smell (which I know some people love, but I'm not really into musty-- I do love the smell and feel of a new book cracked for the first time, though).

The heft is really the biggest appeal for me. It weighs just over half a pound. I hate that I have to wait as long as I do for paperback versions of things. Unless I'm absolutely chomping at the bit, I won't buy the hard cover. I think the only hard covers I've purchased in the past decade have been Armistead Maupin's latest. Currently, however, there are three new books I'm dying to get my hands on. Now that I'm commuting by public transit, however, I refuse to carry hardbound books.

So, here I am, patiently (or not-so-patiently) awaiting paperbacks from a few of my favorite authors. Thankfully, two of them are sequels, so I can use this filler time to reread the previous books (by Nick Hornby and Jennifer Weiner). If I budge on the hard back thing, it's a slippery slope.

On an entirely different subject, although met with the same amount of anticipation, I've been avoiding talk of Top Chef all day. Last night was the finale (which I missed). Tonight was the repeat I also missed. At some point this weekend that will be mine. At that point, I'm sure I'll be dying to discuss.

No comments: