Saturday, May 24, 2008

Let Me Entertain You

I'm on my second Broadway show of the weekend (number 3 is tonight). I have some catching up to do, especially before the Tonys. I really do love that I have such luxuries at my doorstep.

Last night was Les Liaisons Dangereuses (starring Laura Linney). It was complete brilliance. I enjoyed both the play and the performances immensely. Ben Daniels was a standout as Valmont. It drove me crazy when I recognized Mamie Gummer (Cécile), but just couldn't place her. Now that I looked up her online bio, I recognize her as Meryl Streep's daughter, recently seen in the film "Evening".

---
At the moment, I'm at the latest revival of Gypsy (it's intermission). While Patti LuPone isn't delivering the vocals as powerfully as expected, her character is right on the mark.

As the orchestra struck its first note of the overture I was captivated immediately. It took me straight back to those nights many years ago, alone in my room listening to the Tyne Daly recording of the same show, hanging on each note, savoring every chord. I always had a soft spot for Louise. I think if I ever had done the show, that's likely where I'd have landed, although I didn't see it at the time.

I found myself several times in the last hour welling up several times just from pure, raw emotion. Of course, Tulsa's big number (All I Need is the Girl) gets me every time.
---

Now that the show is over... wow, wow, wow!! The comment about the lack of strong vocals from LuPone? A tool clearly used for contrast and dimension. "Rose's Turn" was an absolute knock-out!! I don't remember an occasion where, at the end of a number, but still in the midst of the show, the audience leapt to their feet so instantly and with such fervor. My hands ache from clapping so hard.

The rest of the performances were equally as strong. Boyd Gaines was the perfectly-balanced Herbie to LuPone's Mama Rose. Dainty June, played by Leigh Ann Larkin, went from syrup to acid seamlessly and Laura Benati as Louise (Gypsy) had tremendous range. She flowed beautifully from the forgotten and neglected Louise to the strong Gypsy.

---
Tonight, I'm off to see "A Catered Affair", the new Harvey Fierstein show. It'll be interesting to see how it measures up after being snubbed by the Tonys. I just have a hard time believing it's not better than Xanadu.

No comments: