Thursday, May 22, 2008

In Your Neighborhood

I've been venturing out to more neighborhoods on my own lately and getting to know the city better as a result. I'm not actually on my own once there, usually, but I have to travel there on my own, which makes me learn the area rather than follow somewhat blindly. Last week I tackled getting lost in SoHo, but eventually getting on the right track (and sans the GPS on my phone and calling the person I was meeting to help me orient myself). Today it was the east village. Each are places I've been numerous times, of course, but always traveling with someone else, so not really absorbing how I've gotten there or how it otherwise connects with the city.

I'm happy at the prospect of a 3-day weekend. Tomorrow is a half day as a result, so we can kick it off properly. I know I just got back from vacation a few weeks ago, but it's worn off. I'm always ready for the thought of some extra time off.

It's supposed to heat up, starting tomorrow, so I'm excited about the few outdoor activities planned this weekend (provided it stays below 90-- mid 70s would be perfect). I'm not anxious at the thought of summer, but some real spring weather would be appreciated at this point. It's far cooler than it was last year at this time. Since I moved into my place almost exactly a year ago, I have a pretty good mental time line for last year. I got my air conditioner right before Memorial Day and was dying that I had to wait until after the weekend for my super to get back and install it.

No comments: