Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Tax Man

What a long day and grueling evening. My day was social and fun, with a dash of retail therapy of hours pouring through the stacks at the bookstore. I came home armed with a small bundle of books that should at the very least get me through my vacation (during which I doubt I'll read all that much outside of the flights -- it's NOLA, after all).

Tonight was the grueling part. I finally sat down, after a long period of procrastination, and tackled my taxes. I'm usually that person who has them done by Feb. 2, the second the W2s, 1099s and other statements are in-- regardless of the expected outcome or complexity. This year, I expected to take a bit of a blood bath, so put off the inevitable. Also, since there were 3 different states involved, that seemed messy, as well.

My initial (mis)calculations freaked me out a bit, but in the end, it was pleasantly surprising. I'm actually netting a small bit coming back to me. I expected it to be far more ugly. Had I known, I'd have sat down and done this months ago :) Live and learn.

Tomorrow I have other chores that await, but for now, I sleep.

No comments: