Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Turkey Lurkey Time

It's that time of year again when we're asked to give thanks. This year it seems a little more far reaching, but I am grateful for so much.

This year, I'm removing myself from the usual feast-filled day and seeking a bit of escape. Food isn't exactly my friend these days and there are a few too many landmines out there. Call me a coward; today it's probably appropriate.

Still, the more surface issues have caused me to go deeper. I may occasionally whine about all the things I'm unable to consume where there are plenty out there who don't even have enough food on their plates. I am very fortunate to be able to at least afford those things I can eat. My kitchen is never lacking a bounty of nutrients. And if I'm a little sad and seeking refuge, I not only am in a position to do so, but I have a safe home from which I can escape and awaiting my return. There have been times even in my own life where that wasn't always such a certainty.

I'm extremely grateful for my friends, my chosen family. I have some wonderful ones. I only wish those who were far could all be within easy reach.

While there are some changes occurring that aren't necessarily ideal, I do have a job that keeps me in the lifestyle to which I have become accustomed and allows me to even help others. And it's given me added resume material to aid in finding something even better.

I'm thankful for the city in which I live, my quiet apartment that allows solace from the bustle when it gets to be too much, and the rich culture available at my fingertips.

I have my voice, which makes me happy, and opportunities to use it when I feel the need (and sometimes when I don't).

I hope everyone reading this has a safe, warm, happy, love-filled holiday.

No comments: