Saturday, June 20, 2009

How Do You Get to Carnegie Hall?

For me, it's "walk a few blocks". Have I mentioned lately how much I love this town?

Anyway, tonight was my first time there and it was pretty damn spectacular. I saw Jamie Cullum and he was the absolute best induction to the place, although he's now set the bar pretty high. I only wish I'd had my camera, though there were about 2000 other people there who did, so decent photos won't be tough to find. Yeah, they have a strict "no photo" policy, but when the artist encourages it (and encourages crowding around him as he got intimate and unplugged with the audience -- a-w-e-s-o-m-e), they'd need a whoooole lot more security people to control that one!

Not feeling well was somewhat frustrating, but I tried not to let it distract me from the performance, which was nothing short of spectacular. For the most part, I succeeded there.

Three of my most favorite jazz vocalists have all been in town at once this week-- Jamie Cullum, Kurt Elling and Curtis Stigers, two of whom I'd never before seen live (thanks for coming back to the States so I could finally catch you, guys!). I tell you, I would love to be any part of a triple-decker jazz sandwich with these three (note: I said JAZZ sandwich-- minds out of gutters, please). Between a trip last week and schedule juggling, I had to give Kurt a miss (which was a tough choice, especially when I was offered comps), but I'll see him next time around.

I only wish there were several more sets tonight, but I suppose that would be asking a bit much. Rock on, Jamie. You're even more inspiring live than on recordings.

No comments: