Saturday, May 3, 2008

Girls, Girls, Girls

Hello, my name is Sheila and I'm at home on a Saturday night (and blogging about it).

A friend I was supposed to see tonight had to cancel, so I'd made loose plans to hit Iridium to see Allan Holdsworth. Thankfully I'd planned on that being a solo venture so could easily stand myself up ;) Instead, I'm home nursing the stupid cough (an ounce of prevention and all that stuff). He's also playing a couple of sets tomorrow night, so I might make it to the late show.

One of the few positive things when my voice is in a fragile state (which, of course, otherwise frustrates the hell out of me) is that I'm more likely to sit at the piano and just let myself go. I picked up a song I started writing a while ago and made a bit of progress, but also just enjoyed feeling the chords underneath my fingertips and let myself go from there. There's a song I'm pretty sure is about to emerge, but I'm having a tough time bringing it to the surface. It's very hard to describe, but I'm guessing I'm not alone with this one, either.

I saw the first half of "Top Girls" on Broadway this afternoon. Let me just say that it's definitely no "August". We had comps, so at least that's something, but I do want that hour (seemed more like 12) of my life back, please. Mary Catherine Garrison is one of my most favorite performers. When she was in "Debbie Does Dallas - The Musical" (yes, you read correctly-- not a typo-- and it's a huge bucket of awesome), she held a supporting role but stole the show. I could kick myself for missing her in "Assassins". We saw a tiny glimpse of that humor, but even she couldn't pretty this thing up. As for Martha Plimpton and Marisa Tomei, I have several films of theirs I'd rather see.

Thankfully, the person I was with totally rescued the day with lots of laughs and fun. The right company can really save just about anything.

No comments: